You’ve closed on your new home and it hits you – you’ll be moving! Packing all your belongings, deciding what to take, what to get rid of, and what to buy new for your new home can be a daunting task. These 6 tips will get you ready to face this task
head on with confidence!
1. Organize First – Start organizing your home as soon as you know you are moving. Make lists of everything
you need to accomplish in a timely order including: changing your internet, telling the postal service, hiring movers, clearing out storage, donating unwanted items, and packing items that you won’t be using in the immediate future (holiday decorations,
out of season clothing, etc.) Having to-do lists will help you stay on track and ease the stress of moving.
2. Label Everything! – Label all boxes, bags, suitcases you are packing. We can’t stress the importance of this
tip and how much energy it will save you when unpacking. Not only label what is in them but also label what room you would like them to go to. That way when you or movers are moving boxes they will know where to place them in your new home.
3. Sort Through the Unwanted – Save your future-self time by going through all your belongings BEFORE your move
and deciding what you will keep and what you will discard. Donate unwanted furniture and clothing to the Goodwill or Salvation Army. You will lighten your moving load as well save time packing up things that you don’t want to keep!
4. Set Up Essential Services – As soon as your new home is available to start moving in to, make sure you understand
the utilities bills can be transferred over to you from the previous owner. You want to make sure the gas, water, and electric are all working on move in day. Transfer your internet provider to your new home as well.
5. Plan Ahead – Before you move all your big furniture in to your new home, decide how you want it to be
laid out. You’ll need to take measurements of your furniture and all the rooms and spend time thinking about how you would like it to be set up. Taking the time to do this before the move will save you a backache from moving a couch to three different
rooms in your house.
6. Pack an Overnight Bag – This tip is for the day of the final move. Make sure you back a bag with all the
items you need for the 24 hours. This could include clothing, toiletries, work supplies, etc. If you don’t have everything you need in that bag, you will go gray hairs trying to find your toothbrush amongst 50 moving boxes!